Shop now: Check out my Ellie's Things shop on Etsy

Friday 4 March 2016

Ellie's Upcycled Can Art Brooches

Hello! Welcome to the new Ellie's Things blog. Here's a taste of what I've been working on...

I love to upcycle materials that other people would throw away to create new beautiful things. I have been creating metal drinks can art for a while, but have been experimenting with it more lately. I collect and clean aluminium drinks cans from the roadside or ones that have been saved for me by my family. I usually cut up the cans and sew pieces together with copper wire to create unusual, striking pieces of wall art which can be framed or displayed as they are. So far these have included cars and campervans, fish, and insects.

Recently, I have also been experimenting with 3D items. I decided to make my art wearable and functional by branching out with some brooches. I have made 3 flower brooches so far. I cut and sculpt each piece by hand to give the flower some depth. I might use a few other embellishments such as beads or resistors to finish off the fine details. The pieces are sewn together with copper wire and I back them with felt and a brooch pin.

I am bursting with ideas to take this further but there is so little time!

Daffodil brooch by Ellie's Things

Red flower brooch by Ellie's Things
Red and blue flower brooch by Ellie's Things









3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. So bright and uplifting. Good luck with your continuing crafting and blogging x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. So bright and uplifting. Good luck with your continuing crafting and blogging x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thanks for taking the time to read my posts :)

      Delete